Saturday, June 21, 2014

Hazelnut Cream "Nutella"

I bought some raw hazelnuts last week and have been wondering what I wanted to do with them. I figured starting with a cream was the best base for more recipes in the future. This recipe is simple and easy for even a beginner. 

Roast 1.5c hazelnuts (approx 300g) in oven at 350° for 10-15 minutes. When they are cool, run under water in a strainer to remove as much skin as possible. I found the hazelnut skins to be a bit difficult to remove. I rubbed as much as I could and didn't stress about the rest. I couldn't tell a signifigant difference in texture. 

Blend hazelnuts with 1 cup cold water on high. I blended for about 4-5 minutes to create a frothy and creamy texture! 

If you want to make milk, you could add additional water and use a cheese cloth to separate the milk from the residue. I left mine thick and creamy and added the following. 

2tbsp raw cocao powder
4 packets stevia
1tsp vanilla extract. 

There are so many wonderful things I wanted to do with this mixture. You could place it in your ice cream maker and make "Nutella" ice cream. You could add a bit of water and make a coffee creamer. I decided to freeze the mixture in candy molds to use in my protein smoothies. 

Let me know what YOU do with your hazelnut cream! 


No comments:

Post a Comment